Writers aren't exactly people, they're a lot of people trying to be one person. F.Scott Fitzgerald

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

November Tradition& What It Takes To Be A Writer

First let me give the official title.(National NovemberWritingMonth). The goal of NaNoWriMo is to write 150,000 words in 30 days. Sounds simple doesn't it? Well,let me tell you it is not so easy. 150,ooo words in a month is a lot to tackle. I can do it if,I can find the discipline to stop editing as I go and just write the story, hell bent for leather. This is my third year to participate in this world wide event.I have not been an official winner as the first person to reach the goal.but I am a winner nevertheless by ending up with a new manuscript to revise,polish and hopefully have a new novel ready to send to a publisher or agent.Many new novels have been products of NaNo. Maybe this will be my year and if it isn't, well there is always next year or the next!
I love taking a thought,a phrase, an idea, a dream or even a few words and turning it into a story,then creating new characters,breathing life into them and weaving them into the story. Deciding their fate,what experiences they will go through.Love,Marriage, Danger or sometimes even their death. everything that happens or doesn't happen depends on me to create it.
Writing is not an easy job,it can be a lonely,frustrating job.At times,the words don't come easy,pulling them out of a fuzzy mind,bleary with lack of sleep or worry over not enough money to pay the bills,problems with children and just coping with life in general can leave a writer floundering and desperate for the next scene to slide into place,the next words to flow from our mind and slide into just the right place. If we are lucky,very lucky we reach a satisfactory end to the story with at least some of our sanity intact. Maybe,just maybe we will get lucky and find an agent or a publisher who wants to take a chance and turn our story into a book.
I won't even go into how slim the chances are for that to happen.That being said,writers truly cannot,not write. No matter what,we are back at it almost as soon as we type or write,The End.

No comments: