Writers aren't exactly people, they're a lot of people trying to be one person. F.Scott Fitzgerald

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

SHOULD OUR JOURNEY THROUGH LIFE BE A ROLLER COASTER RIDE?

      Life can be tough, we all know that and strive to make our journey through this life a little smoother and more enjoyable.Without the bad times would we enjoy the good times as much? Personally I'd like to give it a shot for a while.I think I am smart enough to recognize the good without having to experience so much of  the bad. I never cared much for roller coaster rides anyway.
     Recently ,one of my writers groups had a challenge to write 50,000 in a specified time frame.There was no competition with anyone but yourself. I typed away and kept an eye on everyone's progress. I was determined to beat everyone else to the goal.I reached the 50,000 word mark before anyone else did and felt a sense of victory,satisfaction,pride and smugness.I did it! I won!
     Then it hit me.This wasn't a competition with anyone.It was a challenge to push me into writing without editing or rewriting. Just telling the story. I realized,that I am always competing with myself and others.Competition isn't really a bad thing.It can challenge us to be better,faster,more efficient,meet goals, and deadlines. One can become a better writer,plumber,teacher,doctor,parent or just a better person by facing life's challenges,and  heartbreaks and competing with yourself to be the best you can be and do the very best you can at whatever you choose to do.
     So I suppose the answer would be yes.We need a balance in everything we do. That being said,I would still rather have the scale tipped more toward the good stuff.

No comments: