Writers aren't exactly people, they're a lot of people trying to be one person. F.Scott Fitzgerald

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

workshop mania

       Can a person overload on trying to learn the craft of writing. I vote YES. I have enrolled in four online workshops. It is true I can lurk,but what is the point of taking the workshops if you don't participate. I would probably learn from reading others posts, but I would get no feedback on my work. So I will burn the midnight oil and keep up with the posting of assignments,lessons or snippets. whatever the instructor calls for. I do love to write and learn. Most writers,agents and such tell novice writers that in order to be a better writer you must write. I want to be a great writer,therefore I have a great deal of writing to do.
       I will always remember what my band instructor told us one hot summer afternoon, after we had butchered and plodded our way through the music  for our upcoming school program repeatedly. All we wanted to do was go home that Friday afternoon. our minds were on swimming,making out at the local park and other teenage pursuits.Exasperated he eyed our restless bored faces and shook his head.
"Contrary to popular belief,practice does not make perfect boys and girls. Only perfect practice makes perfect."

As you can see I digressed a bit,however, I understand what he meant. Okay,Okay. I have to admit I never quite understood what he meant,but I suppose he meant that merely repeating something over and over will not improve ones ability unless you commit to making it better each time. Only then will it be as good as you can possibly make it. Hopefully at some point it will become as perfect as you can make it. so I will learn,study,write and rewrite. Maybe I'll be the next King,Roberts,Hemingway,Fitzgerald or Shakespeare,maybe I'll be even better.

No comments: